Prepare time: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Ready in: 50 mins
Yield: 12 to 16 pieces
Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake is so easy to throw together for breakfast. It is super moist, can double as a dessert, and is loaded with fresh blueberries. If you’re looking for a delicious, seasonal, berry cake recipe to add to your morning-treat repertoire, this buttermilk blueberry breakfast cake is perfect!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp. lemon zest or more – zest from one large lemon
- 7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
*7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
**This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top of the cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter with lemon zest and the 7/8 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of flour in a small bowl, then whisk together the remaining flour (1 3/4 cup), baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar, like I used) with butter or non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 more minutes might me necessary. I had to leave mine in for 12 more minutes.) Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Alexandra’s Kitchen